SBA 504 Eligibility
The U.S. Small Business Administration established the 504 Loan Program to provide growing businesses with long-term, fixed-rate financing for the purchase or refinance of major fixed assets, such as land, buildings, machinery and equipment.
HOW THIS HELPS YOU:
- Working in conjunction with a conventional bank the SBA 504 program allows your project to be financed with just a 10% equity injection from you. Typical bank financing requires 20%. This will differ if your business is a start-up and/or the property is determined to be single purpose, such as a hotel. An additional 5% down is required for each. With financing available for up to 90% of the project cost, SBA 504 loans offer an affordable down payment, enabling the entrepreneur to conserve working capital and retain liquidity to meet operating needs.
- Typical bank only financing involves an adjustable rate during the life of the loan. With the SBA 504 program, 40% of your project will be funded by the U.S. Small Business Administration at a 20 year fixed rate (10 year for equipment) and is typically below the banks initial loan rate.
ARE YOU ELIGIBLE?
The applicant must be a for-profit corporation, partnership or proprietorship. The net worth of a business must not exceed $15 million, and the average net profit after tax must not exceed $5 million (average over the last two years).
- Not-For-Profit Corporations
- Lending Institutions
- Gambling Concerns
IS YOUR PROJECT ELIGIBLE?
Eligible Use of Proceeds
- Purchase of land
- Purchase or construction of owner-occupied building
- Modernization, renovation, restoration of a building including leasehold improvements
- 10% contingency on a construction project
- Purchase of equipment with life of 10 years or more
- Other attendant soft costs such as accountants, engineers, appraisers, construction period interest, etc.
Ineligible Use of Proceeds
- Working Capital
- Debt consolidation or repayment